Monday, December 26, 2005

It's prep time - YARN time!! - for the Clapotis...

I see several of us are thinking about doing a Clapotis. And I know yarn selection is exciting and potentially tricky, so perhaps we could help one another by posting the yarn we're going to use, along with the needle size.

The pattern calls for Lorna's Laces Lion & Lamb (50% silk, 50% wool; 205yd/184m per 100g skein). It's worsted weight (18 sts = 4 in on size 8 US/5 mm needles).

I see Zonda is thinking about using Sock Garden. That's fingering weight (29-32 sts = 4 in on size 1-3 US needles). Are you planning on doubling it? Adjusting the pattern?

I was thinking about Brooks Farm Yarn Four Play, but would be interested in learning about less expensive alternatives.

I'd love to learn from this...I know there are several threads on the Knittyboard that address yarn subs, but I'd love to hear from you :-).

Thanks Team!!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Ok...
I've got 6 skeins of Lavold Silky Tweed but I'm not sure how that would look? I also have 400 yds of a Wool in the Woods cotton blend, but then I'd have to make one that is smaller than pattern specs. I haven't thought about needles yet!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

hmmm I may have to rethink that then...didn't realize that. I don't want to double it, but I may just make adjustments..I really don't need a long or wide one...

6:21 PM  
Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Z - you may not have to double it. Or make any changes. I PMed _amanda_ who is using Sock Garden too, and she said it's working out fine - on size 8s.

A swatch will help give us some info, I bet.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Thanks!!....swatch...what swatch...hehe...can you tell I've only done 2 swatches before. I don't swatch for hats, scarves, bags..I am trying to be a good girl and not buy anymore yarn for a bit. (I really want a new couch)Thankfully, I have...ahem...enough yarn to keep me busy for a while. I am going to use this as I only want a very small shawl/scarf. I live in the south and it doesn't get too cold here. Also, I want to do this to learn all the stitches/techniques I have not yet tried.

Oh Kim..I checked on the knittyboards gallery and a few people used the wool in the woods, some comments on the silky tweed were the stitches were hard to drop. HTH!

8:51 PM  
Blogger Jeanette said...

I am OVERWHELMED trying to pick a yarn. I love this pattern - especially as a shawl....and I think that I want to do it in a creamy white (how unimaginative is that?...especially from me, the color queen (I'm a professional artist). I just dream of her in all white.
What I want to know (because the only reason I have not knit clapotis already is just on yarn selection....i don't want to put it off another year)....is what TYPE yarn is best? I'm hearing no mohair or other sticky yarn. Does anyone have any suggestions, or has anyone made the clapotis in a single color? Does it NEED to have the varigated color?

sorry. indecisiveness is a MAJOR problem for me, but I really want to start this with you all.

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home