Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Yarn Help... PLEASE!!!!

I'm still fairly a beginner so I'm at a loss as to what to use for the clapotis - nothing too expensive, but I don't want to use red heart if you know what I mean (though I have pondered Simply Soft, lol)

I saw some really pretty cotton sport weight yarn that I wondered about - but how much would I need to adapt the pattern for sportweight? Somehow simply soft, and almost every worsted weight I can find in the cheap stuff seems like it will feel too heavy for clapotis...

Maybe part of it is my fear that I don't wear scarves enough now, and I'm possibly moving someplace warmer (though the possibility is just as likely of moving some place colder, though that isn't a pleasant thought right now - oh the fun of post grad school job hunting)

Anyway - if I want something that will feel lighter than simply soft, is going sport weight my only option? And why aren't there cheap silk blends to be had for that matter, LOL (I know I know - I should just be thankful we actually have affordable wool in ACMoore and Hobby Lobby now...)

3 Comments:

Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Try Andean Silk at www.knitpicks.com for a cheaper silk blend. And there are other inexpensive choices there too. _amanda_ on the knittyboard is doing it in Sock Landscape and says it's going well...

I'm with you on your question - what do I need to do to the pattern to adapt to a sport/DK weight?

5:24 PM  
Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Can you order the sample card? That's what I did - they are $1.50, and that way I can feel it, check out the colors. Just ordered a few different yarn cards tonight!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I have been researching knitty posts and a few people have used carons simply soft (one person has made about 6 or more of them too!)

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home